Easily Install and Run Linux in Windows, feat VMWare

In today’s article we will see how we can install and run Linux in Windows using VMware software. The VMware software is a virtual machine that helps you run an OS in another.
I once used VMware for some sort of work I don’t remember, so I thought of giving it a shot this time. I’m so glad I did. I can’t tell you how long it actually took to get Ubuntu running because as I set the installer running inside a VM and went to bed. Definitely less than two hours though, as that’s how long my laptop will wait before going to sleep.
Here for example sake, I took Ubuntu, you can choose any Linux distribution you want.

Installing Ubuntu in a VM on Windows

  1. Download the Ubuntu iso (desktop not server) and the free VMware Player.
  2. Install VMware Player and run it, you’ll see something like this:
  3. Select “Create a New Virtual Machine”
  4. Select “Installer disc image file” and browse to the Ubuntu ISO you downloaded. VMware Player Virtual Machine Wizard
You should see that it will use Easy Install – this takes care of most of the hard work for you. Click next
5. Enter your full name, username and password and hit next
VMware Player linux set up
6.  Select the maximum disk size and type. Unless you’re planning on some really CPU intensive work inside the VM, select the “Split virtual disk into multiple files” option. Hit next when you’re happy with the settings.
VMware Player disk setup
7. This brings you to the confirmation page. Click “Customize Hardware”
VMware Player setup confirmation
8. In the hardware options section select the amount of memory you want the VM to use. In this instance I’ve gone for 1.5GB out of the 8GB installed in my laptop. Leave everything else as it is and click Close.
VMware Player hardware setup
9.  This brings you back to the confirmation page. Click Finish this time
VMware Player setup confirmation
10.  You will probably be prompted to download VMware Tools for Linux. Click “Download and Install” to continue
VMware Player, download Tools for Linux
11. Wait for it to install
VMware player updates
12. Ubuntu will then start to install, so keep waiting (or do what I did and go to bed!)
I did this in one of my very old laptops. So, don’t be surprised by it’s specifications.

This is how you can run Linux in Windows PC. Comment your opinion below.
Previous
Next Post »